Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Right Flank

The image I keep seeing in my mind this morning is of me standing on the marching field. I'm in a block formation with all the other guard girls and band members doing drills. It's BAND CAMP!!! It's down to me and a hand full of others still marching. Forward march, left flank, march, right flank...I can't even remember all of the commands they used, but I remember being nervous because all of the people who had missed a command were sitting on the sidelines watching to see who would win. I remember being sweaty and tired and thinking that I couldn't do it. I was "just a guard girl"...I was just doing this because I had to. But, I wanted to win. I just kept going. I remember how hard it was to turn when they would throw several flanks at you in a row. How dizzy it made me feel. It was hard to do, but it was kind of fun, too. I remember being the last one standing!
I feel like this is a reflection of my life right now. I've been marching; waiting for the next command, for someone to tell me which way to go next. I'm tired, sweaty and nervous about who's watching me. I'm worried that I might turn left when I'm supposed to go right. I feel like I've been marching forever. I can feel the change in motion that is coming. I am listening intently for the next command. I am ready to pivot and head in the new direction; but I have to wait for it to be spoken.
I am overjoyed that change is almost here! I am thankful that I know that the one that is calling out my commands loves me and has my best interest in mind. He wants me to win more than I do! I am ready to hear, "right flank" and take that first step in a new direction! I can almost feel the relief that comes when you realize that you are the last one standing there...and then you hear the word "HALT", and you finally get to stop for a minute and rest.

Scriptures that came to mind while writing this were:

"In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:6

"But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee." Psalms 5:11

No comments:

Post a Comment